Chiropractic Care for Lower Back Pain

A Common Modern-Day Problem

“Ouch!” is the term commonly used to describe the sensation or the feeling when you experience Low Back Pain. You are not alone. Furthermore, the pain can even be described as sharp, excruciating, throbbing, pulsing, which can be local, or it travels.

Lower Back Pain or lumbar spine pain is a common occurrence in developed nations according to the American Chiropractic Association (ACA, 2017). Low Back Pain is the main leading cause of disability worldwide, with millions of cases reported yearly (ACA). What are the causes of such lumbar spine pain? Lower back pain can be caused by sitting posture, sedentary lifestyle, injuries, disc (spine) problems and muscle spasms.  Common over-the-counter relief methods at the first instance include taking pain relievers, heat treatments, muscle relaxants, icing the area or simply resting for a few days, and your body may heal on its own.

How Chiropractic Helps Low Back Pain

However, if your low back pain is chronic, long-term, have repeated flare-ups or have other underlying reasons, then you should consider other methods of healing, including natural non-invasive healing methods like Chiropractic. Chiropractic is a leading form of professional help sought by individuals for the assessment, management, and adjustment of low back pain. This is because Chiropractic does not simply focus on the pain as the reason for Chiropractic visits, but instead, the focus is on the restorative functions and the body’s natural ability to heal itself.

Chiropractic is about the nervous system, which is the system responsible for all the other systems in the body to function (Gray’s Anatomy Textbook, 2013). Chiropractors are health professionals who understand the spine, bones, muscles, discs, and nerves in your back in details, and are able to narrow down and deduce the causes of pain and other symptoms. In chronic situations, the cause of the low back pain may not even be caused by the low back itself. It can be caused by other areas in the body because the body is intricately connected through a network of nerves and muscles.

Pain is not what it seems. Pain reflects what may be going on in other areas of the body. Usually, we can only feel what is happening in about 10% of our body, while the other 90% of the body is functional without us knowing what is going on in our bodies. By the time you can feel the pain, it is more serious than it seems. It is important to note that health is a journey, not an event, and it must be maintained. It is like cleaning your house: if you do so regularly, then you will have less build-up of debris and garbage and vice versa.

Better Late than Never to Avoid Long-term Harm

Chiropractic balances the source of pain and not simply dull the pain because of its restoration and healing principles. For chronic conditions, we recommend that individuals see the chiropractor for 12 visits before re-evaluation to determine if more visits are necessary. Each individual, however, represents an array of life experiences and lifestyle choices. Hence, this guideline varies based on an individual’s conditions.

Over the course of the series of Chiropractic adjustments, it will gradually help to balance the transmission of brain waves and nerves to the spine and vice versa. In the process, this helps to balance the back as well, as every cell in your body is connected to the spine and nervous system. Chiropractic adjustments will help balance and remove the interferences in the nervous system that caused the low back pain. Removal of nervous system interference will improve mobility and function. Individuals will feel a sense of relief and resolution of low back pain as a result. Results, however, vary among individuals, depending on the length of the pain occurrence and lifestyle of individuals. Complementary self- help stretches and exercises are also recommended.

In summary, Chiropractic helps to reduce low back pain, increases healing potential, shortens the duration of downtime of the individual, and reduces the chance of recurrence of injury. So the next time if conventional treatments have failed you, make an appointment to see a Chiropractor and you will be very glad that you did it.



  1. Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics 2016; 39(1): 1-22. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2015.10.006.
  2. Gray, Henry. 2013. Grays Anatomy. London, England: Arcturus Publishing.


Your Trusted Chiropractor for lower back pain treatment

Dr. Nicholas Lim, D.C., ANutr, B.Sc. (Hons)

[Dr. of Chiropractic & Nutritionist &

Secretary of Chiropractic Association of Singapore]

WhatsApp :+65 9352 8828

Telephone : +65 6970 8152

Email :